Cider Glazed Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Almonds
- 4 slices of bacon, chopped (you may also use turkey or beef bacon)
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 pounds of Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- ¾ cup of apple cider
- ¼ cup of sugar
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- ¼ teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup of toasted, sliced almonds
Cook the bacon in a large skillet until it is crisp. Remove the bacon from the skillet and allow it to drain on paper towels. Save 1 tablespoon of drippings from the skillet and discard the rest.
Add the butter, onions and Brussels sprouts to the drippings. Cook these on medium-high for 1 to 2 minutes or until the vegetables are slightly browned. Add the next five ingredients in a small bowl and then pour the mixture over the sprouts. Cook this for an additional 5 minutes or until all of the liquid has evaporated and the sprouts are glazed evenly. Stir the mixture occasionally and then stir in the browned bacon.
Spoon the sprouts into a serving bowl and top them with the toasted, sliced almonds.